Sunday, November 20, 2011

Cacophony Chili Stew

I am a picky eater.  I hate onions, most peppers and chunks of tomato.  This makes Italian and Mexican dishes kind of hard for me.  I swear it seems like almost every dang dish has a food I don't like so I have to modify OFTEN.
So being paleo means no beans in my chili and since all the ingredients listed above are out as well... I had to figure out how to make an interesting chili.  This is my first experiment.  My husband named it.  He said that each individual flavor smacks you in the face on it's own, yet compliments each other quite nicely.  This was a big hit and smells great cooking in the crock pot!

Ingredients 
1 tbls. ghee
1 leek
5 garlic cloves
3 pounds of ground beef (cooked) (chicken or turkey could be substituted)
1 pound sausage sliced thin

1 - 14.5 oz can of tomatoes and green chili's
2 - 14.5oz can's of diced tomatoes
1 small butternut squash
2 sweet potatoes
2 big portobello mushroom caps
2 cups of chicken broth
6oz. of Tomato paste
1.5 tbls. crushed red pepper
2 tsp. chipolte chili seasoning
2 tsp. ground cumin
2 tbls. chili powder
black olives and extra diced tomato to top if so desired

Directions
1.) Cut leek and chop garlic and sautee for 5 - 10 minutes
2.) Cook meat
3.) Cut butternut squash and sweet potato
4.) Blend can's of tomato until smooth (if you are ok with chunks of tomato, don't blend)
5.) Mix broth, tomato paste and all seasonings - (taste to make sure it's spicy enough for you)
6.) Put everything in a crock pot and cook.  I cooked it on high for 4.5 hours and it was perfect, if you want to set it all day put it on low for 8 hours.  If you want this quicker you can do it on the stove... on med -low for 2 - 3 hours.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment