Thursday, February 9, 2012

Addiction - I still have it.

I am absolutely addicted to sweet things.  I put it down for a month and now I am looking for ways to incorporate sugar back in, dessert especially so a few days ago I found a recipe a dairy free chocolate creme pie.  For the crust they used chocolate cookies.  So I made my own version.  I used Ghirardelli dark chocolate chips and gluten free chocolate cookies and it was freaking delicious.  Seriously one of the most amazing things I have ever tasted in my life.  But the sugar, preservatives and the use of wheat (even gluten free) doesn't sit well with me, I know what these things do to my body.  So  I endeavored to make it more paleo. 

This is an amazing masterpiece of a pie.  I swear I will be selling my tasty viddles out of Grey Gables next year! 

Pie crust prior to cooking
Chocolate Coconut Decadence
Crust:
1/4 cup of butter
2 tbls of honey
1 tsp of vanilla
2 tbls of Coco powder
1 1/4 cup of Almond Flour or Almond meal
1/4 to 1/2 a cup of roughly chopped pecans
Melt butter add honey and vanilla
Put Almonds, cocoa powder and pecans together in a bowl, add butter mixture and mix.
Spoon mixture into a 9.5" pie plate, form to plate.
Bake on 350 for 12 minutes and let cool completely.
This is wicked easy and litterally took me 3 minutes to throw this thing together.



filled pie crust, pre-refrigeration

Filling
1 Can of Coconut milk (full fat)
8oz of unsweetened bakers chocolate
1/2 cup of coconut crystals
1/4 cup of pure maple syrup
1/4 cup of unsweetened coconut flakes (optional)
Melt chocolate, coconut crystals and maple syrup. 
Add coconut mil and melted chocolate mixer to a blender and blend, mix in coconut flakes if you choos.
Pour into your crust let it set in fridge for 4 hours. 




It's still sweets and it's not something that I will have every day (though I sure do want to) but I feel a lot better about eating this than just about anything I can buy at a store,
and it is really easy to make!


4 comments:

  1. This looks amazing! I am trying to learn more about the Paleo style of eating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A little bird told me you're flying North! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'd definitely eat that! Yum! We've mixed coconut milk with quik mix and got Almond Joy flavored milk. I didn't even trust myself with that.

    :-) Marion

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks awesome! And it uses stuff I have at the house! LOVE it! Thank you :o), um, or not... I'm not sure yet. ;o)

    ReplyDelete